Wednesday 20 April 2016

How I got an amazing summer internship

Today I am going to write about something a little different. I found out a couple of months ago I got an internship of a lifetime to work at the Bank of England. Shocked doesn't quite describe the emotion I felt when I found out. Its something that I am excited about and I really hope it meets my expectations and I get a lot out of it.

It wasn't easy to get and it wasn't the only internship I applied for. I applied for about 20 internships, to be honest I lost count how many. I received many a telephone interview, video interview and a couple of assessment days but I eventually something which I think is pretty special. I am sure many of you will be wondering how I got it, and the truth is I don't really know some companies rejected me straight away without asking me to do any aptitude tests and others invited me to a telephone interview and then rejected me. Sometimes it felt like it was pot luck whether I was going to get a summer internship or not.

I would say one of the best advice I could give is put your all into every single application and don't expect anything from your first telephone or video interview but still try as hard as you can. I was rubbish on my first interview I had because I had no idea what to expect, I can write about myself, my skills and my achievements but I find it difficult and awkward to talk on about them over a phone to a person. The only thing I can say is do as much research as you can and be yourself and its the company loss if they reject you and not yours. Whatever you do DON'T TAKE IT PERSONALLY!!! Unless they accept you of course.

Video interviews are another thing entirely, dress smart (or what is going to be seen on camera at least) and find a plain-ish background, lean slightly forward and appear engaged. Don't worry about sounding like a posh pompous prick at times or making stupid expressions when you talk. Companies just want to know whether you are a good fit for them and whether you have the passion and drive to succeed in their line of business. They expect you to be nervous and I am sure they don't expect everyone to be used to talking to a camera, not everyone is a YouTuber, I certainly am not.

Once you have gone through the online tests which are usually centred around logic and simple arithmetic. You are normally invited to an assessment centre where there are even more tests and tasks for you to carry out. There will be a normally be a written report writing one, a group exercise and either a presentation by yourself or in a group. There could be an interview as well. Both interviews I had for internships were an hour long and they expected you to know a lot about the field you were applying for, so research research research! Also, there will be competency based questions where they will ask you about a time when you demonstrated a skill. If I am honest at times I twisted the truth a little when answering these questions, like how important a talk was, so nothing dramatic. What I found to be the most important thing in an interview was to build a rapport with the interviewer, this way it was easier in the interview as it put you both at ease. Also come up with some good questions either about the company and internship/job itself or issues that the industry as a whole are dealing with. As well showing your knowledge it also makes you seem interested in what they do.

I hope you found this entertaining and I will tell you as much as I can about the internship and about the daily grind of living in London.

No comments:

Post a Comment