Tuesday 22 July 2014

Graduations

Graduations are strange things. I watched my brother graduate a couple of days ago and although I would never admit it to him I did well up a little when I saw him in his gown and mortar board as well as when he went up to shake hands with the vice chancellor of the university. He is now a graduate and officially moved out according to my mum even though he is had been living away for four years.

It was a strange event, I never realised the ceremony had to be so formal. People in charge of the ceremony had to say certain words in order to make it all legal. I have to admit everyone did look a little silly in their gowns and other necessary things they had to wear.

Everyone almost looked relieved when they walked off the stage as if the weight of the world had been lifted off them as if they were scared stiff they are going to fall flat in their face or something. Everyone looked so happy when they all threw their hats in the air as if to say we have done it. Sadly they didn't realise they all had to scramble to find a hat so they wouldn't be fined when they gave all the academic clothes back.

It makes me think about the journey I am about to embark on in September and in three years time I will be in the sane situation as my brother. I have no idea what awaits me and what the outcome of it will be. I may even find my future husband at uni. I am sure that it will be fun and rewarding and I am determined to do as well as I possibly can. So as my brother goes into the real world of work and responsibilities I get to have fun, be a proper student and move a six hour car journey away. I can't say I am not scared stiff, no matter how exciting out all sounds

No comments:

Post a Comment